One of the best ways to deal with pregnancy veins is wearing compression stockings. Here you will learn more on compression stockings for pregnancy varicose veins and spider veins. Compression stockings can reduce the swelling, the cosmetic discomfort and relief the varicose vein pain. Are Pregnancy Varicose Veins
What are pregnancy varicose veins
Pregnancy veins are swelled veins which can be seen under the skin as long twisted strings, they sometimes have a blueish or purple color. They are caused mainly by hormonal changes during the early pregnancy when large amounts of progesterone hormone is produced.
The progesterone hormone relaxes the body natural tension so the body tissue can expand to prepare for the new baby to develop as it supposed too.
One side effect of the relaxation of the body tissues is that the vein walls are weakened too. The valves which normally are closing tightly after each pulse, are weakened too, and blood is not circulated as it should. The main area in the body which is affected by pregnancy varicose veins is the lower part, legs, thighs, ankles and sometimes vaginal veins too.
Pregnancy veins are more common at overweight pregnant women, because the heart fails to support the huge body mass, and the strain on the legs is even more severe.
What do compression stockings do
Compression stocking create a constant compression on the superficial veins which are those who swell at pregnancy varicosities. The pressure places a constant press to help the valves push the blood upward. Here is the explanation by Wikipedia:
Unlike traditional dress or athletic stockings and socks, compression stockings use stronger elastics to create significant pressure on the legs, ankles and feet. Compression stockings are tightest at the ankles and gradually become less constrictive towards the knees and thighs. By compressing the surface veins, arteries and muscles, the circulating blood is forced through narrower circulatory channels. As a result, the arterial pressure is increased, which causes more blood to return to the heart and less blood to pool in the feet.
Wearing Compression Stockings During Pregnancy
There are some guidelines you might want to follow for wearing your compression stockings during pregnancy. These guidelines will help you make the most from the support stockings and relief the varicose discomfort.
1. Unless you have seen a doctor, use only light to medium compression stockings, these can be found at Amazon, and over the counter (OTC). These levels of compression is known as support. So look for pregnancy support stockings to fins these:
- 10-15 mmHg
- 15-20 mmHg
This level is low, and will relief your discomfort and pains. The mmHg is a measurement of the levels of compression at the bottom and the top of the stockings.
2. Consult with your physician before buying compression stockings above 15-20 mmHg. If you have been seen by a physician or medical adviser: 20-30 mmHg or 30-40 mmHg level compression stockings can be used.
3. Wear pregnancy compression stockings only in the morning before you get out of bed. The compression will be most effective when worn first thing in the morning when the legs are yet to be pooled. Once you stand or walk, circulation increases and the prevention compression is less effective.
4. Make sure you roll them on (and off) without any rings on your finger. The linen fabric is very delicate and sharp fingernails and rings may tear the stockings.
5. Donning (wearing) compression stockings is done only on dry feet. Humidity will cause the fabric to stick to the skin and firm pulling would be needed to wear them properly.
6. Choose your stockings. Keep your style. There are numerous pregnancy compression styles. You can find at Amazon support stocking, support socks, support hose, heel high, knee high and thighs high. There are natural colors, black and elegant colors, and even white support stockings.